Mead, William Rutherford (1846-1928)
Mead, William Rutherford, 1846-1928
Born in Brattleboro, Vermont in August 1846, Mead went to Norwich University and graduated from Amherst College in 1867. He began studying architecture in New York and then spent some time in Florence, Italy. Upon returning to New York, he struck up a professional partnership with Charles F. McKim. Two years later, in 1879, they were joined by Stanford White and named the firm McKim, Mead & White. Together they comprised the leading architectural practice in the United States. Even after the death of the other two principals, Mead continued to head the firm, which worked on many prestigious projects. In 1913 Mead became the first architect to be awarded the gold medal from the Academy of Arts and Letters. Among many other honors, he became a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, and president of the New York Chapter between 1907-08. King Victor Emmanuel made him a Knight Commander of the Crown of Italy in 1922 for his contribution to the introduction of Roman and Italian Renaissance architectural styles to America. A notable early medieval design by their firm is Saint Paul's Episcopal Church, Stockbridge, Massachusetts, 1883-84. Judson Memorial Church on Washington Square in New York (1888-93) is a masterful example of the American Renaissance.
Boston College University Libraries