Allen, Francis Richmond (d. 1931)


Allen, Francis Richmond (d. 1931)


Allen, Francis Richmond, 1843-1931


Francis Richmond Allen was the architect of the Thompson Memorial Chapel at Williams College (1905). This Gothic Revival chapel holds the President James Abram Garfield Memorial Window (1882), one of La Farge's most complex window designs. It was commissioned for the Williams College Chapel and dedicated in 1882. The window was first installed in the Stone Chapel (1859) across the street and moved to the new Thompson Memorial Chapel in 1905. He formed a partnership in 1904 with Charles Collens (d. 1956). Their firm later designed the Riverside Church (1928-1930) and The Cloisters (1934-39) in New York City, and the Newton City Hall and War Memorial (1932).


Boston College University Libraries